Mary Kom, a prominent boxer, turned (24 November 1982)40 today. The champion, who began boxing when she was 15 years old, is now a well-known boxer on the global stage. Mary is a Rajya Sabha member of parliament and a national boxing observer. She hails from the Manipuri community of Kangathei and has a younger sister and brother. She was known as “Magnificent Mary” and had briefly stopped boxing after getting married. However, after having children, she resumed training.
Mary Kom’s Achievements:
Mary has received a number of accolades and accomplishments. Here are some of the boxing champion’s notable accomplishments on her birthday:
The Super Seven Wonders
1. She is the first woman boxer from India to win an Asian Games medal. At the 2014 Asian Games in the South Korean city of Incheon, Mary grabbed home the gold medal with a mesmerising victory.
2. Mary is the only female boxer from India to have qualified for and medaled in the flyweight division at the London 2012 Summer Olympics.
3. Mary has obtained a total of eight medals from the World Championships. In both the male and female categories, she is the first and only boxer in the world to have achieved this feat.
4. She is the only female boxer in the world to have won the World Amateur Boxing Champion title six times.
5. The Commonwealth Games gold medalist in boxing is the first female boxer from India to do so. She won it at the 2018 Games, which were hosted in Australia on Queensland’s Gold Coast.
6. She is recognized as the top female light-flyweight in the world by the International Boxing Association (amateur).
7. Mary has accomplished things both on and off the field. She is the first female athlete to get the second-highest civilian honour in India, the Padma Vibhushan. This honor was granted to Mary in 2020.
Unknown facts about Mary Kom:
- She is a high school drop out
- She has her own Academy called MC Mary Kom Boxing Academy
- She has great concern and cares for animal welfare.
- She has the highest honour of bearing the Queen’s Baton for the Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
- After Dingko Singh won the gold medal at the Asian Games, Mary Kom thought of trying Boxing and proved age and ambitions come by way.
1,667 total views, 638 views today